Wednesday, April 25, 2012

The deafening silence

“Here it is” he yelled.
“Where?”
“Right there”
I could hear the agitation in his voice now.“Well i don’t see it’.
I could in fact see the towering home above me in all its horror and all its glory.
“I know you’re lying” He said in disappointment.
I am Sophie and the boy yelling at me like a madman is my friend Seth. It’s been three years since i last entered this house. We Nicknamed it the “Widowman” house. It’s called that because Ms. Widowman used to live in that house before any of us were born. Although nobody REALLY knows how she perished but somehow it was definitely related to that house. I remember the first time i entered that house. It was sunny outside it was coming to sunset outside but the kids on the street didn’t have any real concern about playing in the dark. We were all playing baseball as normal 10 and 11 year old kids on our street do. It was finally my turn up to the bat the game was tied and it was the last inning. I hated it when games came down to the wire like this. I was ready to hit the ball out of the park though. I got into my stance and got ready. The ball flew out of our pitchers hand and came flying at me like a speeding bullet. I didn’t have much time to react but the next thing i knew the ball was flying farther and higher than anything i could have ever dreamed of. I couldn’t feel anything but joy, that is until the ball went right through the Widowman mansion window. I knew i had to get the ball i didn’t have a choice we all settled on the person that hits the ball out has to get it. We made that rule the last time Ricky (He's pretty stubborn) refused to get the ball after hitting it down the street because there was no rule that he had to get it. So from that day forth anyone that hit the ball out had to get it themselves. I didn’t have a choice unless i didn’t want to play baseball with them anymore. I walked out onto the lawn since the house was abandoned. I didn’t have a fear of this house back then so i stride onto the steps like they were nothing. Nothing on this world could have prepared me for what was inside. I walked in to see tattered portraits Hanging awkwardly from the walls and broken glass scattered across the ground. The ball had went into the second story window so i had to head upstairs. I knew something was lurking in the shadows i could hear things i wouldn’t hear in a normal house. By some miracle i found a flashlight just laying in the scattered glass. I didn’t really believe that it would work (seeing as how there weren’t any batteries) but i guess this was not a normal flashlight. I didn’t realize how cold the house had been getting until i got into the room with the ball in it. The temperature was somehow dropping rapidly. I grabbed the ball and started my way back. It began to get dark, even darker than the pitch black it already was. I heard more noises scratching and piercing howls coming from all directions. Before i knew it i was screaming. I thought i was hallucinating but i know i couldn’t have been, everywhere started to fill with blue lights. They were faint but there was strange auras emitting off them. I didn’t care about the ball anymore i wanted out i was screaming and shivering until finally a fluorescent light woke me up. I was in the hospital my family and friends were all watching me with horror in their eyes.I lay there in a dazed fashion trying to piece together what i had just been through. I tried to recreate what happened in the house to the doctors but they just waved it off and diagnosed it as sleep deprivation.  That didn’t make any sense i had been getting plenty of sleep, more than i needed really. I didn’t think anyone believed me. The only person who would've was Seth. They said he came and found me whispering to myself like i had just seen a ghost. It was true though i had seen one there was no other explanation. Am i like the kid from “The sixth sense”Or something now? No its that house it is and will always be that house. As my family and friends began to exit the room Seth was the only one who remained. “Did you really see a ghost?”
“Why would i go crazy like that if not?”
“Thats what i want to know”
“What were they like?” He said
“Well....I remember them being these blue twinkling lights and they made these kind of low,guttural noises. “
“Were they hostile?”
“No i-i don't think so.”
“When i found you you were slumped down in a corner like all your bones were broken and  you wouldn't stop muttering.”
I couldn’t really remember any time we talked about the house after that except maybe a few mentions of it in trivial conversations. It didn’t really matter,the house though was apparently on its way to being destroyed and Seth didn’t think that was a good plan. I had heard of him researching more about the house through his life time. When i left that house i could see the curiosity in his eyes.
And that should bring you up to speed on where we are now.  In front of this house . “Lets go in” Seth said with insanity in his eyes.
“Are you crazy? I’m never going in that house again!
“Suit yourself” I stood behind the Rotted wood fence. Even the outside of the house gives me chills.
“If this place is going to be destroyed i want to at least check it out”
I really hate this but i guess i am going to have to anyways if something happens to Seth it will be on my hands. I approached with care and caution,none like I had when I first entered this place of evil. I was right behind Seth the entire time. We entered the house. we began to explore,  the portraits had now completely disintegrated and the glass was mysteriously gone like it had vanished into thin air. I looked around and what was left of the walls was a decayed brown substance that used to be what looked like the beams of the house I don’t see how this place wasn’t demolished earlier. Entering the living room was even worse. The couch had maggots in it ,a wasp nest was growing out of the corner of the room ,the rug looked like something had just completely torn it to shreds ,and the curtains were nothing but strings. I’m pretty ahead of the fact that something has definitely been here. Seth has officially had one of the dumbest ideas i have ever seen.
“Lets check out the basement”
“Why in gods name would you want to do that?”
“If we want to find out what's been harboring itself in here we have to look everywhere and the basement isn’t out of the picture.”
We began to tread towards the basement. It felt like the hallway was getting longer. Although i knew it had to be all in my head once i reached the door. I firmly grasped the knob and with a quick flick of my wrist the door was open and the pitch black darkness was staring straight through my soul. It was like it was alive. Every time i walked down the stairs they felt like they were jumping away from me. the stone was cracked like paint splashed on a wall. I couldn’t get out of this though Seth was there i had to make sure nothing went wrong and i couldn’t just leave Seth there. As our descent into the house went farther i began realizing that something knows we are here. I try to stay as close to Seth as i can but he's much faster than me and is much more interested in this house than i will ever be. I picture in my mind all the terrible things that could happen. It feels like these stairs go on forever. What happens if they crumble and the house falls. What if the door locked behind us? What if something gets us down here.I've made my decision. I start whispering to Seth.
“I think we’ve explored enough can’t we go back up?”
He doesn’t respond.
I get nervous.
“Seth?”
Still no answer,
I grabbed his shoulder.
And that's when i see it,
Seth is gone.
And all that's left,
Is the deafening silence.

7 comments:

  1. Wow! You got me completely wrapped up in your story, then left me hangin! I wonder what really happened to him the first time....and even more, why did he go back in again? Love how you used the flashback, too. Worked really well to build up the apprehension your character was feeling when entering the house the second time. But still, I'm dying to know what happens next!

    ReplyDelete
  2. awsome story but you could caoitlized your I`s

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to know what happened to Seth! Man, Tell us! Greattttt story though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It felt like i was reading a full book with less parts. That was great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i want to know what happens nexts! continue! continue!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So what happenes to Seth? You should consider making a second part.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is very interesting! It was great! Publish it!

    ReplyDelete